• 새글

World Women group activities

여성인권, 어디까지 왔나?

2,366 2016.09.01 01:13

첨부파일

짧은주소

본문

여성인권, 어디까지 왔나?

마을을 직접 찾아가기 시작하면서 구조적인 차별이 존재함을 알게 되었고, 여성인권에 대해 더욱 깊게 파고들어야 할 필요성도 깨달았다. 한번은 건강 캠프를 통해 허리 통증을 호소하는 한 여성을 만난 적이 있었다. 검사해 보니 이 여성의 질 속에는 고무 슬리퍼 조각이 들어 있었고, 이것을 꺼내자 자궁 일부가 고름과 피, 분비물과 함께 쏟아져 나왔다. 충격적이었다.

2014년 5월 5일, 네팔 카트만두에서 활동가들이 자궁탈출증을 인권문제로 인정할 것을 네팔 정부에 촉구하고 있다.

이 여성의 사정은 이러했다. 13세에 결혼한 그녀는 19세에 이미 네 번의 임신과 두 번의 유산을 경험했다. 23세 때 자궁탈출증이 발생하자 남편은 다른 여자와 재가했고, 홀로 아이를 키워야 했던 그녀는 지나치게 과도한 양의 일을 감당해야 했다. 당시 자궁탈출증이란 질병은 제대로 알려지지도 않았다. 23년 전에 벌어진 일이다.

이후 이 문제에 대해 글을 쓰고 발언을 하기 시작했지만 쉬운 일은 아니었다. 왜 자궁 이야기만 하냐는 동료 의사들의 비난도 받았다. 하지만 좋은 친구이자 동지인 아루나(Aruna) 박사와 함께 캠페인 활동을 시작했고, 여성들에게 페서리 사용법을 알림은 물론 지역사회와 주, 국가 단위의 성별에 기반한 폭력 종식을 위해 캠페인을 벌였다.

베이징으로 가는 길

1994년, 베이징에서 열릴 제4차 세계여성회의를 위한 준비모임이 뉴욕에서 개최되었고 나 역시 참석하게 되었다. 나는 의사였기 때문에 처음에는 사회적 지표나 권리에 대해서 전혀 아는 바가 없었다.

당시에는 큰 기대를 하지 않았다. 그러나 토론 내용을 모두 이해하지는 못한 가운데서도, 이 자리가 그 동안 자주 논의되지 못했던 자궁탈출증, 성재생산권과 같은 주제에 대해 발언할 수 있는 기회임을 곧 깨닫게 되었다. 여성 수천여 명이 참석한 자리인 만큼 교류의 폭을 넓히고, 다른 여성인권활동가들로부터 많이 배워갈 수 있었다.

우리 어머니는 ‘딸이 무슨 일을 하느냐’고 사람들이 물으면 눈물을 터뜨리신 적이 많았다. 때로는 잘못된 선택을 했다는 생각이 들 때도 있었다. 하지만 베이징 회의를 준비하면서 내가 올바른 길을 가고 있다는 확신을 갖게 되었다. 준비 과정에서 많은 힘을 얻었다.

베이징 회의가 남긴 유산 

역사에는 쌓아 왔던 모든 것이 한꺼번에 터져 나오는 순간이 늘 존재했다. 베이징 회의가 그 순간이었다. 여성인권단체들의 수많은 지지와 노력 끝에, 마침내 베이징 행동강령이 채택됐다.  베이징에 모인 전세계의 수많은 단체와 개인들이 함께 노력하고 연대한 덕분에 이룬 성과였다.

당시 활동가들이 민주주의와 여성인권에 대해 말하기에는 아직 이른 시기였던 네팔은 이를 계기로 논의가 시작됐다. 베이징 회의 이후 네팔 여성부가 만들어지기도 했다. 우리가 계속해서 촉구했던 내용이 베이징 회의로 실현되었으니 매우 의미 있는 일이었다.

그러나 5년이 지나고 정치가 맥을 잃으면서 여성인권운동의 정치적 정신은 희석되었고, 새천년개발목표로 베이징 행동강령의 영향력은 약화됐다. 그리고 여성인권문제의 대부분은 성주류화로 무마됐다. 일례로 네팔에서의 성주류화 계획은 형식적인 제스처로만 끝나고 말았다. 여성인권의 정치적, 구조적 문제는 전혀 다루지 못했으며, 여성을 그저 여기저기 끼워 앉히는 것만으로는 평등이라고 할 수 없는 것이다.

그로부터 20년 후 

처음 활동을 시작할 때는 건강 캠프에서 만난 한 여성의 질 속에서 고무 슬리퍼를 꺼내야 했다. 그런데 자궁탈출증과 성차별 문제를 위해 열정적으로 활동하며 20년을 보낸 후에도, 최근 참가했던 건강 캠프에서 만난 여성에게서는 길다란 천 조각을 끄집어 내야 했다. 자궁을 묶어두기 위해 넣은 것이었는데, 이 여성은 국립 병원에서 불과 10km 떨어진 곳에 살고 있었다. 여성인권활동가들이 베이징 회의에서 자궁탈출증 문제를 공론화시켰지만 문제의 심각성은 사라졌고, 행동강령이 마련되었지만 구조적 변화를 일으키지는 못했다.

베이징 회의 이후의 진척 과정을 점검하기 위해 3월에 개최되는 유엔 회의는 지금까지의 성과를 돌아보고, 이로부터 더욱 발전해나갈 수 있는 시간이 될 것이다. 그러나 그 동안 아직 세계적으로 다뤄지지 못한 사안에 대해서는 매우 조심스럽게 접근해야 한다. 20년이 지난 뒤의 여성인권을 논의하는 이 자리에 직접 참석하기를 바라는 이유도 이 때문이다.
영어전문 보기

Women’s rights – how far have we come?

This year’s International Women’s Day celebrations on 8 March bookend a milestone in women’s rights. Soon after, world leaders will descend on the UN in New York to take stock of how much they have achieved in the 20 years since a historic meeting in Beijing, where they promised to protect and promote the rights of women and girls everywhere. Dr Renu Adhikari will be among the many activists there. She tells us what progress she’s seen over the last two decades.

I have worked on women’s rights for the last 24 years in Nepal. I started out working on trafficking and HIV. I had met a girl who had been trafficked and her story made me re-think whether I should continue being a medical doctor or do something in women’s rights. At that time, I had no idea what an NGO was. Still, in 1991 I created the Women’s Rehabilitation Centre (WOREC) out of my passion for women’s rights.

When I started going out to the villages, I learned about structural discrimination and that we needed to dig deeper into women’s rights. Once, I met a woman who complained of back ache at a health camp. When I examined her, I found a piece of rubber from a slipper in her vagina. I pulled it out, and part of her uterus came out along with puss, blood and discharge. I was shocked.

Activists call on the government of Nepal to recognize uterine prolapse as a human rights issue, Kathmandu, Nepal, 5 May 2014.

She told me her story. She was married at 13. By 19 she had already been pregnant four times, including two miscarriages. By 23 she had uterine prolapse and her husband had married another woman. As a single mother she had to work extra hard. At that time, no one was talking about uterine prolapse. This was 23 years ago.

I started to write and talk about the issue. It was not easy. I was stigmatized by my fellow doctors who asked why do you only talk about the uterus?, but I had a good friend [and ally], Dr Aruna, and I started campaigning. I taught women how to use a ring pessary and also campaigned on ending gender-based violence at the community, state and national levels.

The road to Beijing
In 1994 I went to the preparatory meetings in New York City for the Fourth World Conference on Women which would be held later in Beijing. Being a doctor, at first I had no idea about social indicators and rights.

I didn’t have a lot of expectations at that time. Although I didn’t always understand the discussions, I quickly figured out that this was a space I could use to talk about issues like uterine prolapse and sexual and reproductive rights that were not being discussed much. There were thousands of women there and I could broaden my network and learn from other women’s rights activists.

Several times my mother cried when people asked her, what is your daughter doing? These were times when I thought I had done something wrong. But preparing for the Beijing conference confirmed to me that I was on the right track after all. I was empowered by the process.

There are some moments in history where everything gets accumulated and comes out. Beijing was like that.

Beijing’s legacy
There are some moments in history where everything gets accumulated and comes out. Beijing was like that. After a lot of advocacy and struggle by women’s rights groups, the Beijing Platform for Action was adopted. This was achieved by the power of networks and different groups and personalities working together from around the world at Beijing.

In Nepal, it was the very early days of activists being able to talk about democracy and women’s rights, and the Beijing conference was the place for these discussions. After the conference, the women’s ministry in Nepal was created. That’s what we were demanding and Beijing made it happen so that’s very significant.

But five years later the politics fizzled out. The political spirit of women’s rights movements became diluted and the Millennium Development Goals diluted the Beijing Platform for Action. Then gender mainstreaming replaced a lot of women’s rights issues. For example, in Nepal the gender mainstreaming projects were reduced to tokenistic gestures. The political and structural issues of women’s rights were not addressed and putting one woman here and one woman there does not mean equality.

Twenty years on

When I started my work, I pulled out a rubber slipper from a woman’s vagina in a health camp. But after 20 years of so much energy and work on uterine prolapse and gender discrimination, I was doing a health camp recently and I pulled out a long piece of cloth from a woman that she was using to hold in her uterus – and she was only 10 km from a government hospital. Women’s rights activists brought out the issues at Beijing, but the severity of the issues got dissolved. Projects were designed but structural changes didn’t take place.

The UN meeting in March which is reviewing progress since the Beijing conference will be a time to reflect and see what we have achieved and take forward these achievements. But we need to be very careful about what has not worked around the globe. That’s why I want to be there and be part of this discussion on women’s rights 20 years later.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

최신글이 없습니다.

닉네임 0000.00.00
LOGIN

최신글이 없습니다.

Ranking

출력할 랭킹이 없습니다.

• 01 염형진
  • 02 안녕하세요
  • 03 호준이
  • 04 iTjOa081